Current issues and events

2 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Current issues and events - Page 12 Empty Re: Current issues and events

Post by neptune Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:51 pm

Guess what?  At the G20 summit in Bali this past week, a sweeping new plan was revealed—for universal vaccine passports.  Shocked   That's right . . . if you want to travel abroad, then you'd better get jabbed, buddy.  Razz

So, even though Djokovic may be allowed to travel to Australia in a couple of months, how much longer will he, or any other unjabbed individual, have this kind of freedom?  🤔

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:20 pm

There's a brand-new movie out by Stew Peters:   Died Suddenly.   😯   It's about an hour long, but certainly worth watching—especially if you're not well informed about all the devastation that the jabs are causing.  Mad

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:56 pm

Here's a nice, heartwarming story for a change.  We've all heard of attack dogs who protect their owners' homes.  But an attack squirrel?  🤔  Well, apparently it can happen.  Say hello to Joey.   😊

Current issues and events - Page 12 US2211_01_GettyImages-1383361586-Feature

Joey isn’t your typical guard pet. He’s not a hulking German shepherd or brawny Doberman pinscher. He’s a squirrel, a rodent­. But he’s certainly no pest—unless you try to break into his house. Then he’s a world of trouble.

Adam Pearl found a baby squirrel orphaned in his yard in Meridian, Idaho. He decided to take him in and named him Joey. Pearl set an alarm to bottle-feed Joey every two hours. Joey learned to use a litter box and graduated to a diet of nuts and greens. In just a few months, he became a fixture in the house.

“He’d let anybody pet him,” says Pearl. “Right up until the kid broke in.”

Joey goes nuts on a burglar

That was the day Pearl came home to obvious signs of a robbery. Strange, snowy footprints tracked around the yard. His gun safe was scratched up. A few items of value were missing. He alerted police about the break-in, and officer Ashley Turner came to the residence to make a report.

“Joey had run in the bedroom … and kind of startled her,” says Pearl.

Turner asked if Joey bites. Usually not, Pearl explained, but he is, after all, a wild animal. You never know.

Hours later, Turner returned with a remarkable story: She’d identified a suspect, based in part on the suspicious scratches all over his hands.

She asked him, ‘Did you get that from the squirrel?’ and he says, ‘Yeah, it kept attacking me and wouldn’t stop until I left,’ ” says Pearl.

The attack “scared him, obviously, because he wasn’t expecting to have a squirrel come flying out of nowhere at him,” says Turner. “So basically he said he took what he could and left as fast as he could.”

The Pearls got their stuff back, and Joey got his favorite treat­: Whoppers.

Joey the squirrel returns home

That spring, Pearl noticed Joey’s growing desire to return to nature. Joey became increasingly interested in the windows, and he even began playing with other squirrels through the sliding door. Pearl installed a cat door for Joey to come and go.

“When the sun would come up he would go outside and play, and then when the sun went down he would come back in and climb up in his hammock and go to bed,” says Pearl, laughing.

After a few weeks of hybrid living, Joey made his permanent return to the wild. “He was up in the apple tree and climbed down on my shoulder, and I gave him a nut and scratched his ears … then he hopped back up in the apple tree and was gone,” says Pearl. “He didn’t come back home that night, so I think that was kind of his last little bye.”

https://www.rd.com/article/pet-squirrel-attacks-robber/

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:15 pm

Here's a funny Christmas video that illustrates the persistence of cats, which should never be underestimated.  😄

Merry Christmas!   👼🌟

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:30 pm

Get a load of this—in Britain, it's just fine to have an abortion, but if you want to pray outside an abortion clinic, that's a crime.  What a Face   Welcome to Nazi Germany 2.0, folks.  卐   Even your thoughts are now monitored there by the government.  Suspect

In this short video, Tucker Carlson interviews Isabel Vaughan-Spruce, who was recently arrested for praying silently in England and faces a trial in February.  And someone made this perceptive comment underneath the video:

Is this not evidence that praying outside abortion clinics "works"? Abby Johnson, and others working in abortion clinics have noted how prayers would turn their murdering upside down....no-shows, mothers changing their minds, etc.

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:52 pm

Since the U.S. "healthcare" system has taken a total nose dive in terms of quality since the plandemic began—and is now overrun by evil interests to boot—as this wise nurse explains in the video below, you now basically have to become your own doctor as much as possible.  🩺   And here's one good piece of advice:  If you can help it, please don't ever go to the hospital or take anyone you love there, because you never know if you'll actually come back alive!   What a Face

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:57 pm

In just the past month, a whopping twenty-three Canadian kids have died, many of them from mild illnesses like the flu, breaking medical records!    Shocked   Many of the deaths have been sudden as well.   It seems obvious that these kids had compromised immune systems, but the sinister Canadian health authorities are refusing to even acknowledge the situation, much less address it head-on.  Mad

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:18 pm

Sadly, Great Britain has become a chilling, totalitarian place.  🤢  Just for courageously calling for a complete suspension of the Covid jabs and comparing all the lives they've destroyed with the carnage of the Holocaust, Member of Parliament Andrew Bridgen has himself been suspended from the British Conservative party and also been called vicious things like anti-Semitic, anti-scientific, anti-vaxxer, etc.    Mad    So . . . exactly when are they going to place Bridgen in the gas chamber??  卐

And all Bridgen did was to speak the truth!!  Three cheers to you, Mr. Bridgen!  👏

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:02 pm

Back in the early '70s, The Guess Who came up with a intriguing rant against the fair sex in their song "American Woman."  Fast-forward about fifty years, and, well . . . what they came up with now seems pretty tame.  🐥  If someone were to make an updated version of the song, it seems the lyrics would have to be toughened up considerably.  💪   As psychiatrist Mark McDonald points out in the essay below, sadly, the average American woman has become undatable.  Current issues and events - Page 12 Dramaqueen1   Some would call what he's saying sexist, but I think he's mostly just telling it like it is.  And he basically sums up his whole point in the last sentence:  "No healthy person wants to play with a porcupine."  🦔

Current issues and events - Page 12 Image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi1.wp.com%2Fthefanboyseo.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F12%2FSing-Ash-Scarlett-Johansson-1

Why American Women Are Undatable

I don’t even want to go on any dates anymore. They just feel like a chore.” I heard this from my twenty-four-year-old male patient this week. I hear it frequently from men everywhere. I hear it in bars, at professional conferences, over coffee at lunch. I hear it because American women have become undatable.

American women today suffer from a combination of emotional and characterologic pathology that renders them unfit to be romantic partners to men. On the emotional side, they are angry, anxious, and dysregulated.  Men find them exhausting and not at all fun to be around. In addition to their unpleasant emotions, men must also contend with their toxic personality traits: narcissism, ingratitude, and an overbearing and judgmental attitude that appears to be constant. American women approach dating as a fact and fault-finding mission, with a degree of arrogance that can only come from a profound absence of self-awareness. They have no idea what their role is in the encounter or how to properly support the man who is leading the date. They act as saboteurs rather than facilitators.  Most men have tired of this.

Certainly, the failings of men play their own role in the dating disaster of today’s America. I have written about these failings extensively here and in my first book, United States of Fear. Masculinity is in decline in the West; without it, dating cannot be successful.  Strength, courage, mastery, and honor are the essential traits of masculinity, according to Jack Donovan, author of The Way of Men, and few men display those traits today. Yet equally few women display the essential traits of femininity, either.  Donovan explains that to find a woman desirable, a man requires nothing more than for her to be pretty, carefree, and charming. Today’s American women cannot even meet that expectation.

I went to dinner recently at a restaurant in Westwood, near the UCLA campus. Every customer appeared to be a university student. I noticed a group of girls walk past me as they got up from their table. They all looked and dressed alike: oversized tee shirts, baggy jeans, non-styled hair, no make-up. They appeared to be poorly dressed boys. I turned to the woman I was with and commented, “They don’t look attractive at all.” She replied, “That’s the current style. I don’t think they’re trying to look attractive.” Observing the rest of the young women around me, I saw that she was right. Most of the others resembled them. Appearance, though, is not the only way in which American women are not trying to be attractive.

The typical American woman today projects limitless entitlement, ruthless competitiveness, and advanced emotional incontinence that makes it all but impossible for a man to tolerate her, much less enjoy her company.  A recent Instagram video that went viral showed a French man walking the streets of Los Angeles explaining how he had just walked out on his first date at a restaurant with a local woman after observing that her lengthy food restrictions and preferences eliminated nearly every option on the menu. “Au revoir, Jennifer,” he concluded.  An American woman living in Russia posted a thread of complaints on social media after failing to get to a second date with any local man after six months in Moscow. “One man told me at the end of the first date that I wasn’t attractive enough for him to go out with a second time. I reminded him that I earn more money than him and have a better apartment—an apartment that I pay for with my own income.” Additional comments made it clear that she was entirely unaware of the expectations of local men regarding both feminine dress and body habitus, and that Russian men couldn’t care less what she makes or how nice her apartment is.  They want a pretty, charming, carefree woman and aren’t hesitant to say so to her face.  American men want the same thing but don’t have the clarity of mind or the courage to say so.  They have become pussified.

I believe the root cause of this problem in American women is environmental. It is a problem of bad values.  Women in this country have been taught that looks don’t matter, that career is more important than family, that men are either dangerous or weak and incapable, and that the world would be a better place if only women were in charge.  Everything they are taught is wrong. Everything they are taught is a lie. And the fault lies with schools, media, feminism, and parents. These institutions and individuals have corrupted their minds, their emotions, and their characters. They have trained women to live in a fantasy world of us vs them, where the “me” is more important than the “we,” where one’s feelings dictate truth and goodness, and even virtue itself. These toxic teachings have rendered women developmentally arrested and incapable of adult partnerships with men.

This tragedy harms not only men but women.  Men need women, but so do women need men, despite what feminism has taught. American men today have largely decided they would simply rather be alone than continue to feel battered and exhausted by an unending stream of bad dates with unpleasant women. No healthy person wants to play with a porcupine.

https://markmcdonaldmd.substack.com/p/why-american-women-are-undatable

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:24 pm

Isn't this refreshing??  We now have a new term for our so-called government in Washington D.C.:   Current issues and events - Page 12 Perky1

Current issues and events - Page 12 A5308f208478013be1b5005056a9545d

Last edited by neptune on Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:39 pm

Lent just started yesterday—and to properly observe it, you've gotta sacrifice something, don'tcha??   😂

Current issues and events - Page 12 B2e059508898013be31a005056a9545d

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:41 am

In honor of Valentine's Day, our local paper ran a story about a couple who've been married for sixty years.  Apparently the man starting dating his future wife when he was 20 and she was just 15.  Well, if I were this man, I would've just left out that part.   😗  Basically, when a guy chases after a younger woman like that, it's usually because he's immature and nobody his own age actually WANTS him.  clown

In the same vein, an Oklahoma DJ recently made this video with some pointed statements about why middle-aged men go for much younger women.  The take-home message here for such men is:  "Guys . . . you really need to grow up!!!"  👶

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:54 pm

Did you know that your local pharmacy only exists to make lots of money?  Well, if you're smart you probably did.  Wink  That's part of the Big Pharma business model:  to have pharmacists do everything they can to maximize profits.  What's more, the goal of the big insurance companies is to squash independent pharmacies in favor of big-chain pharmacies.  🤮  The video below explains all this and more.  

There's also a dirty little thing that most folks don't know about called "medication therapy management," or "MTM" for short.   Suspect   As Dr. Jennifer VanDeWater explains in the video:

The insurance company actually sends to the pharmacy a notice like, "Hey, your diabetic patient isn't on a cholesterol medication.  You should talk to the doctor and get them to prescribe a medication."  Oh, yeah . . . these are like the things that happen every day. . . .  But . . . nobody knows this goes on.

So . . . what you don't know about your crooked local pharmacy could hurt you.   What a Face

And like a good neighbor, Big Pharma is there!!!  🤪

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:23 pm

Ain't it the truth???   Razz

Current issues and events - Page 12 Img

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:30 pm

In other news, while the popularity of tennis seems to be stagnating at best, a close competitor is seriously rising to the challenge.   🥳

Current issues and events - Page 12 2424883

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:14 pm

Have you ever seen the planet Mercury in the night sky?  If you're like most people, then you have not.  But assuming you'd like to, we have some good news for you.  For folks in the Northern Hemisphere, the next two weeks is the best time of 2023 to see this elusive planet!!   cheers

Why's Mercury so hard to see?  Because it's so close to the sun, and when it's visible, you can only view it in the twilight—either dawn or dusk.  Most people would prefer to look for it at dusk, and that's exactly what's happening this month!   👏

Here are my tips for spotting Mercury:

1) You need to pick a clear night (duh).  Wink

2) It's best to use a good pair of binoculars.  If you have great vision, then you might be able to spot it with the naked eye.
But it's so much easier to see with binoculars.

3) It's also best to get away from the city to get a good viewing.  If you can go out in the countryside, all the better!  But wherever you go, you need to have a fairly clear view of the western horizon—or at least the lower part of the western sky.  

4) Head out about 25 minutes after sunset.

5) Using your binoculars, look due west (which is where the sun sets) and also fairly low in the sky.  

If you spot it, at first, Mercury will seem very faint.  But as the sky darkens, it will get brighter and brighter.  You should be able to see it for at least 15 minutes if you time things just right.  I saw it last night without too much difficulty.   🔭

So . . . if you're at all into stargazing, don't let this rare opportunity pass you by!!  🤩

Current issues and events - Page 12 WEBvics23_Apr07-1

From now through mid-April, in the western evening twilight sky, the "Queen of the Night," better known as the brilliant planet Venus, will help you to identify the normally hard-to-find planet Mercury. . . .

Through a run that will last more than two weeks, skywatchers will be able to watch as Venus hovers well above and to the left of Mercury. Then, later in the month, Mercury will drop into the sunset fires and ultimately fade from view.

Normally a tough target

Venus, of course, attracts the attention of even casual skywatchers. One metaphor compares it to a sequined showgirl strutting her stuff in the western evening twilight. But most folks have never noticed another planet that, like Venus, swings back and forth nearer to the sun than Earth.

That's Mercury.

Mercury is a difficult object to study because it's a small planet — the smallest in our solar system. Scarcely half as far from the sun as Venus is, most of the time it's hidden by the sun's glare. Mercury ventures away from our star only about half as far into our evening sky, dodging out into view in the evening twilight low in the western sky. But when both Venus and Mercury shine together in the evening twilight, Venus can act as a celestial benchmark, pointing the way to the more elusive Mercury.

Then, the speedy little planet is easy to see, if you know when and where to look. . . .

On Saturday evening (April 1), about a half hour after sunset, using binoculars, scan near the west-northwest horizon to locate Mercury. Although shining at magnitude -1.0, which is virtually as bright as Sirius (the brightest star in the sky), Mercury is still deeply immersed in the bright evening twilight, so it might be a bit difficult to pick out initially.

But this unfavorable circumstance will rapidly improve in the coming days, for although it will slowly fade, this will be more than compensated by the fact that Mercury will be pulling farther away from the sun and correspondingly lifting higher up into the sky. Also take note how Mercury and Venus will appear to be positioned roughly 20 degrees apart. (Your clenched fist held at arm's length measures approximately 10 degrees.)

In fact, between April 4 and April 13, Mercury will be within 20.5 degrees of Venus. So, through the first half of April, Venus will serve as a convenient guidepost to locate this normally hard-to-find planet. About 30 to 45 minutes after sunset, look toward the west-northwest sky. You will immediately spot brilliant Venus. Hovering "two fists" below and to its right, you will see a bright yellowish-orange "star."  

You'll then be looking at our solar system's "elusive" planet. . . .

In fact, this will be Mercury's very best showing of the year for those who are located north of the equator — better than even this year's best pre-sunrise apparition (which will occur in late September). And since more people are interested in looking for Mercury in the dusk than in the dawn, the dusks of early to mid-April are the ones to plan on.

https://www.space.com/mercury-venus-pleiades-skywatching-april-2023

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:24 pm

Okay, today we're going to talk about something that men generally don't like to talk about:  close friendships between men.  😬

Well, in the U.S. at least, those friendships are kinda scarce.  Crying or Very sad  But as the article below points out, men really do need such relationships.  Too often, though, they resist them for fear of being labeled "gay," even though women can usually freely show affection with their female friends without worrying too much about such labels.  And what so many folks don't know is that, hundreds of years ago, "romantic" friendships—also called "bromances"—between men were actually quite common.  😲  Unfortunately, when these voids are not filled in men's lives, they tend to become overdependent on women—including their own wives—for something that women simply cannot give them.   Even worse, eventually many men turn to other things, like extramarital affairs, alcohol, drugs, or gambling.  😪

It's a sad situation, and there's really no easy solution.  However, awareness of the problem is the first step to addressing it.  The article below, which is well worth reading, also gives some helpful tips on how men can learn to connect with each other.

Oh, and here's a shocker:  Many men in fact prefer bromances to romances with women.   What a Face   Why?
Because they feel that their buddies understand them better than women, and therefore can offer better emotional support.  This is even supported by a verse in the Bible, 2 Samuel 1:26, where David says:  "I grieve over you, my brother Jonathan!  You were very dear to me.  Your love was more special to me than the love of women."   🤔

Current issues and events - Page 12 Image?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP

Having an intimate group of friends like that seems to be a rare thing for men these days. In fact, according to a recent American Survey report, men have fewer social ties overall than they used to, with only 27% of men in 2021 saying they had at least six close friends compared to 55% in 1990. This suggests men may be suffering a “friendship recession” that is likely affecting their health and happiness.

The reasons for this are complex. But it’s worth it for men to forge friendships with other men. Research suggests that having men friends in early adulthood is important to men and can help buffer them against stress. Intimate friendships with men, sometimes called “bromances,” can be even more fulfilling than romantic relationships with women, perhaps because men feel more understood by other men and assume men friends will be more loyal and willing to help in time of need.

How can you make that kind of friendship happen? The key, say experts, is to find the right activity with other men—and then to be brave in opening up. “[Men] start off talking about their cars first, and then the conversation goes into their relationships,” says Daniel Ellenberg, a relationship expert and leadership trainer. “Finding common interests is a good jumping-off point for men.”

The roots of male isolation

Why do men have fewer friends these days? Declining involvement in civic or religious organizations, lower marriage rates, and changes in the workplace—such as remote work opportunities and longer commutes—are likely contributing to missed opportunities for men to develop friendships with other men. No doubt the pandemic didn’t help, as so many men (and women) found themselves isolated.

But men also have fewer close male friends for other reasons, too. Societal pressures to conform to a particular model of masculinity can hamper the development of intimacy with others. This starts at a young age, when boys are given the message they should not express their emotions or seek emotional comfort from other boys lest they be condemned for being too “soft,” “feminine,” or “gay.

As developmental psychologist Niobe Way’s research articulates, boys want and need to have intimacy, but feel pressured to withhold the vulnerability or affection that helps foster friendship. This means boy friendships often fade by late adolescence, increasing their risk for suffering mental health problems and poorer physical health.

Fred Rabinowitz is a psychologist at the University of the Redlands who studies men and runs therapy groups to help men connect. He believes that much of what hampers male friendships stems from male socialization.

“Boys, when they’re young, are capable of having all kinds of fun with each other and enjoy hanging out, being physical, and all that stuff,” he says. “Then, something happens. We put them in school, where it’s OK to play and be aggressive, but where there’s something taboo about being too friendly.”

He recalls his own lesson around this at the age of seven. After putting his arm around a best buddy on the playground at school, somebody suggested it meant he was gay. He quickly changed tack. “That’s enough to just shut down boys,” he says.

With girls and women, there is less of this association between physical affection and sexuality, he says. They are more open and receptive to interpersonal interactions involving intimacy, where they share secrets and seek each other out for advice or comfort.

But, for guys, it can feel weird or awkward to be intimate with another guy, because it goes against cultural norms and doesn’t jive with male mythology. Men are admired for being “the strong, silent type” or the lone hero in our society, with emotional control and self-reliance valued above all else. This stereotype can keep men from recognizing their social and emotional needs, making it harder to do the work of making close friends.

“Part of our tradition has been to appear to be strong—or at least give the impression of strength—which makes you feel a little bit more secure, but lonely,” says Rabinowitz. . . .

“The male operating system is learning that vulnerability is a bad thing, that you’re leaving yourself open to attack,” he says. “There’s a kind of wariness, based on the need to always be oriented toward threat. We’re much more likely to mistake a stick for a snake than a snake for a stick.” That hurts a man’s ability to foster intimacy through vulnerable self-disclosure—something key to fostering closeness in friendships.

That’s why many men tend to look more to women for emotional support than to seek it with other men, says Ellenberg. Unfortunately, this not only lessens their options, but could place an undue burden upon women to be their confidants and supports through life.

Men put too many of their (shall we say) ‘emotional eggs’ in a woman’s basket,” says Ellenberg. “But relationships are complex, and the more you’re able to embrace different contexts, the more you bring out different sides of yourself.”

It wasn’t always the case that men feared intimacy with other men, writes Marisa Franco in Platonic (her book outlining the history of friendship and its benefits). Men used to be quite close to other men, she writes, even sharing romantic feelings for one another—not in the sexual sense, but in the sense of deep caring, longing to be together, and feeling most yourself when in that person’s presence.

“Romantic love in friendship isn’t radical. It’s traditional if you peer back far enough into our history,” she writes. “Even now, it is normal for close friends to feel the heady passion and idealization that we typically deem appropriate only for spouses.”

To have that kind of closeness feels foreign to many men, though. That’s why both Rabinowitz and Ellenberg have their work cut out for them.

What men can do to build friendships

While there isn’t much research on what men can do to build male friendships, specifically, Rabinowitz’s and Ellenberg’s decades of experience give them a vantage point for offering some advice.

Rather than engaging in deep, revealing conversations the way women might, boys and men tend to engage in “side-by-side play,” Rabinowitz says—doing an activity they both enjoy that doesn’t involve face-to-face interactions. Sometimes intimacy can grow from there, he adds, because if you do these activities regularly, opportunities to share personal issues can arise.

“If you’re playing golf with someone, you can focus on golf. But then if someone says, ‘I had a rough morning, you know, my wife’s in cancer treatment,’ it’s a way of opening up the door to have a conversation about that in a safe way,” he says.
 . . .

Modeling openness yourself, as a man, can make it easier for other men to open up to you, says Rabinowitz. You can always start with something fairly low-risk and work your way up, as you see that it has a good response.

“Maybe tell a story that is not that personal and or tell a joke or talk about some external activity,” he says. “Those are the ways that men break the ice when they’ve been socialized the way we have been.” . . .

The keys to friendship, as outlined in Franco’s book, may also help men build closer connections with other men. After initiating contact with another guy, whether it’s getting a beer after work or meeting for a walk, you can go from there. Broaching more personal topics, expressing appreciation, or showing affection are all good ways to let someone know you’re interested in a deeper friendship, if they are interested, too.

Though that may feel risky for some men, often their fears of a negative reaction are just that—fears.  Most people respond more positively than you might think to someone reaching out to them.

If you want a closer friendship, you have to pay the price, which is to reveal more about yourself,” says Ellenberg. “As Gandhi said, ‘Be the change you want to see in the world.’ If you want more openness in a friendship, the best thing to do is to be more open yourself. Don’t wait.”

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/why_friendships_among_men_are_so_important

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:23 pm

I don’t normally post music here, but in these crazy times, a little levity is probably not a bad thing.  Cool  Besides, I just learned about this song a few days ago from a newspaper article discussing Ellie Goulding’s new album.  Since that came out only about a week ago, I guess this music does kind of qualify as a “current event,” even though the song (the first single) itself was actually released last summer.  Wink

Anyway, this song sounds like it stepped right out of the ‘80s.  Basically, it seems to be a retread of the big Hall & Oates hit “Out of Touch” from 1984.  So, if you like booming ‘80s music 🎶 , then this tune should be right up your alley.  I also wrote a review of the song on a popular music-rating site, which you can read below the music player.

4.5 stars

Back to the Future

When Ellie Goulding & Co. were plotting a single to launch her latest album, it seems they had one thing on their mind:  Big '80s.  Indeed, the very title of the song is an almost shameless attempt to conjure up that era, with many folks no doubt wondering at first if perhaps the song is a remake of that old hit by Philip Bailey and Phil Collins.  Nope.  😏  And then the crew must've spent a lot of time listening to one of the last big hits that Hall & Oates put out—their song "Out of Touch" from 1984.  That tune, in fact, seems to have been the blueprint for this one.  🛠

Starting off with a percolating beat, the song builds gradually in intensity as Goulding tells her gut-wrenching story of being repeatedly pulled in by a player.  Then her tale of woe explodes in a big, booming, synth-driven chorus that sounds like it walked straight outta the '80s.  📣

Not to be outdone, guest rapper Big Sean launches a spirited rebuttal in the next round of verses, asserting that he's not really that bad after all and in fact does want to be in a relationship with Goulding.  Some interesting lyrics trip off his tongue as well:

I'm hung up on the pictures that you sent me,
Made a gallery (whoa),
Captions be about me but not @-ing me. . . .

Meanwhile, she coos in the background throughout his rapping, finally joining the rap like a soft echo as it chugs toward the second chorus.  Then, by the time the middle eight rolls around, Goulding admits she's hopelessly hooked—and resistance is futile:  🏳

I can't stop believin' you want me,
And you're foolishly in love.
But you're not,
So I take a shot. . . .

Throughout the song, Goulding nails the delivery, reining in her vocals when appropriate, and then giving them just the right amount of oomph as needed to make the choruses soar.

Only a couple of things hold the song back a bit.  While Big Sean's rapping is interesting, it's also kinda clumsy at times, and it's hard not to wonder if maybe the whole idea of including a guest rapper was half-baked.  (Goulding might've wondered this herself, since she released a solo version of the song not even two months later.  😆)  The song seems to end too soon as well, and an extra 20 or 30 seconds might've helped it go out with more of a bang.

Those minor drawbacks notwithstanding, this single delivers a bold, catchy, refreshing slice of Big '80s nostalgia 😻, and it's anybody's guess why it didn't do better on the charts.

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:27 pm

Although it was certainly fun flirting with the easy lover immediately above  Wink , sometimes you just have to snap back to reality.  And today's sad reality is that the Western world is mostly full of wimps.  🐤   Speaking of songs, Paula Cole's 1997 hit "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?" could well be the theme for what we're facing these days.  

The short article below makes some pretty pointed statements.  While it expresses a lot of general truths, it's directed in particular at a religious audience.  Now let's ask this question—what's the purpose of religion?  To connect with something higher and more powerful than ourselves.  Throughout Christian history at least, there have been plenty of martyrs—that is, folks who were willing to die rather than sacrifice the truth of their beliefs.  However, these days that kind of "fightin' spirit" seems to be mostly absent, even among "religious" folk.  However, if you claim to have a strong faith in God but refuse to stand up against oppression and injustice facing your fellow man, then your religion is basically just a joke.  clown

Anyway, the moral of the story here is that Western society is rapidly decaying because it's full of sheeple.  🐑   For those of us who are alarmed by this, we at least need to try our very best to stand up for truth and justice, even as time seems to be running out.  As Ronald Reagan once put it:

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children’s children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done.

Current issues and events - Page 12 Image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.azquotes.com%2Fpicture-quotes%2Fquote-the-courageous-man-is-the-man-who-forces-himself-in-spite-of-his-fear-to-carry-on-george-s-patton-144-86-69

Where are the brave people?

We must hope that the war in Ukraine does not escalate to a world war or even a European war, because we have very few brave people left in the Western world.

There are very few politicians who are willing to speak up about what is clearly a breakdown in politics, the fact that there is absolutely no difference between any of the parties now.

There are very few journalists willing to speak up when they are told they are not allowed to report the truth.

There are very few doctors willing to speak up about being told they are not allowed to prescribe tried and tested drugs, or that people dying of natural causes being designated as dying of Covid, or keeping quiet about the sudden death syndrome being only in vaccinated people.

There are very few policemen willing to speak out about the bias in the police agenda and how they are being ordered to attack peaceful protestors.

There are very few teachers willing to speak out against the standards of education which have plummeted in the last few decades.

There are [very] few ordinary people willing to speak up about the inconsistencies in the narrative which we are being fed. There are very few people willing to question why every death within 28 days of a test are treated as a Covid death, when overall death levels have not changed.

No, sadly, there are very few brave people around, because they have seen that those who have spoken up have lost their jobs and often been ruined. No dissension is allowed at all. We have become a communist country where you are not even allowed to question the narrative, because that is dangerous. Dangerous to who?

But, the ones I am really surprised about are Church leaders who seem to have lost all [their] spine. Church leaders are not stupid people, so they must be able to sense something is wrong, just the same as I did. So why have they not spoken up? When will they speak up?

Will they speak up when people cannot heat their homes because there is a 20% premium on their power to subsidize green electricity?  Will they speak up when people cannot get food, while our governments pay farmers not to produce?  Will they speak up when we get hyper inflation due to the massive amounts of money printing?

Sorry guys, by that time it will be too late when your congregations are dying. If you cannot see the truth in front of you, then you are not fit to be pastors.  You are a total disgrace, leading your flocks astray, the blind leading the blind.

https://churcheswithoutfear.com/2022/09/14/where-are-the-brave-people/

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Thu May 11, 2023 1:04 pm

Most Americans have never even heard of Sophie Ellis-Bextor, but she's a British singer with a nice voice—and some interesting songs to boot.  She's got a new album coming out next month, and this is her latest single.  It has a breezy, lilting feel, which is perfect for warm weather.  sunny  I don't normally go for this kind of mellow music, but the melody here is so smooth and addictive that it's hard to stop listening.  😋

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Wed May 31, 2023 3:16 am

This may not be a current event per se, but it's extremely relevant for our times.  Sadly, we're assaulted by transgender ideology everywhere—the delusion that it's possible to change your sex/gender, and that you should just "go for" whatever you think will make you happy.  Rolling Eyes

The truth, however, is that you cannot change your genetics or your sex, any more than you change your height ("Hey, I believe I'm really 6'11", so let me into the NBA!!"), your age ("I believe I'm 8 years old, so let me play Little League!!!"), your race/ethnicity ("Deep down inside, I really think I'm Japanese!"), or your species ("I truly believe I'm a giraffe!!!").  Believing that you can change these things is pure madness.  🤪

As the poignant article below shows, trying to change your sex is always a mistake, because sex-change regret is extremely common.  Basically, the process is merely a band-aid that fixes nothing.  You can do a lot of permanent damage to yourself as well.  Crying or Very sad   If anyone you know is suffering from gender dysphoria, please have them read this article.  It might save them a lifetime of heartache.  There is help out there, but "transitioning" is not the solution.  

Current issues and events - Page 12 P15914478_b_v11_aa

At first I was giddy for the fresh start. But hormones and sex change genital surgery couldn't solve the underlying issues driving my gender dysphoria.

I started my transgender journey as a 4-year-old boy when my grandmother repeatedly, over several years, cross-dressed me in a full-length purple dress she made especially for me and told me how pretty I was as a girl. This planted the seed of gender confusion and led to my transitioning at age 42 to transgender female.

I lived as “Laura” for eight years, but, as I now know, transitioning doesn’t fix the underlying ailments.

Studies show that most people who want to live as the opposite sex have other psychological issues, such as depression or anxiety. In my case, I was diagnosed at age 40 with gender dysphoria and at age 50 with psychological issues due to childhood trauma. . . .

Gender dysphoria is about identity, not sexual orientation. I was never homosexual; I was interested in dating girls. In my early 20s and engaged to be married, I confided to my fiancée about my cross-dressing. She figured we could work it out. We got married and had two children.

In my work life I was successful, but the girl persona still occupied my thoughts. With weekly travel away from home, I easily indulged in cross-dressing, fueling the desire to be a woman.

By the time I was 40, I couldn’t take the pressure of living two separate lives. I felt torn apart, wanting to be a good husband and father, but in severe torment about needing to be a woman.

I sought out the top gender specialist at the time, Dr. Paul Walker, who had co-authored the 1979 standards of care for transgender health. He diagnosed me with gender identity disorder (now gender dysphoria) and recommended cross-sex hormones and sex change genital surgery. He told me that the childhood events were not related to my current gender distress, and that sex change was the only solution. I started taking female hormones and scheduled the surgery for April 1983 in Trinidad, Colorado. I was 42.

My marriage ended shortly before surgery. In addition to genital reconfiguration, I had breast implants and other feminizing procedures and changed my birth certificate to Laura Jensen, female. My childhood dream was realized, and my life as a woman began. . . .

At first, I was giddy with excitement. It seemed like a fresh start. I could sever ties with my former life as Walt and my painful past. But reality soon hit. My children and former wife were devastated. When I told my employer, my career was over.

As Laura, I decided to pursue being a counselor and started courses at the University of California-Santa Cruz in the late 1980s. There, a crack in my carefully crafted female persona opened, and I began to question my transition.

The reprieve I experienced through surgery was only temporary. Hidden underneath the makeup and female clothing was the little boy hurt by childhood trauma. I was once again experiencing gender dysphoria, but this time I felt like a male inside a body refashioned to look like a woman. I was living my dream, but still I was deeply suicidal.

A gender specialist told me to give it more time. Eight years seemed like an awfully long time to me. Nothing made sense. Why hadn’t the recommended hormones and surgery worked? Why was I still distressed about my gender identity? Why wasn’t I happy being Laura? Why did I have strong desires to be Walt again?

Emotionally, I was a mess. But with grit and determination, and the love and support of several families and counselors, I pursued healing on a psychological level. With expert guidance, I dared to revisit the emotional trauma of my youth. It wasn’t easy, but it was the only way to address the underlying conditions driving my gender dysphoria.

I was 50 when I had the breast implants removed, but the next few years were spent in confusion and counseling. In 1996, at the age of 55, I was finally free from the desire to live as a woman and changed my legal documents back to Walt, my biologically correct male sex. I still have scars on my chest, reminders of the gender detour that cost me 13 years of my life. I am on a hormone regimen to try to regulate a system that is permanently altered.

Regret is real

Eventually, I met a wonderful woman who didn’t care about the changes to my body, and we’ve been married for 21 years. Now we help others whose lives have been derailed by sex change. Measured by the human benefit to a hurting population, it’s a priceless way to spend our time.

Had I not been misled by media stories of sex change “success” and by medical practitioners who said transitioning was the answer to my problems, I wouldn’t have suffered as I have. Genetics can’t be changed. Feelings, however, can and do change. Underlying issues often drive the desire to escape one’s life into another, and they need to be addressed before taking the radical step of transition.

You will hear the media say, “Regret is rare.” But they are not reading my inbox, which is full of messages from transgender individuals who want the life and body back that was taken from them by cross-sex hormones, surgery and living under a new identity.

After de-transitioning, I know the truth: Hormones and surgery may alter appearances, but nothing changes the immutable fact of your sex.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2019/02/11/transgender-debate-transitioning-sex-gender-column/1894076002/

Last edited by neptune on Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Wed May 31, 2023 3:37 am

For those who prefer videos instead, here are some sad tales of folks who decided to "transition" but ended up deeply regretting it.   Sad

From the video:

The fact of the matter is that forty percent of people who are attempting suicide are people who regret ever changing genders.

What a Face

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:04 pm

I read this humorous comment recently:

Q: What's the best part about being a "conspiracy theorist"?

A: Not having blood clots, myocarditis, or a failing immune system.

Current issues and events - Page 12 Laugh1  

Actually, it's really sad in many ways—but so true!!

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:50 pm

Remember when Sheryl Crow bellowed out in the mid-'90s:  "If it maaaaaakes you happy, it can't be that baaaaaaaaddd!!!"??  Wink

Well, now that Djokovic has broken the Grand Slam record, this seems a good time to talk about an important topic:  What actually does make people happy??  🤔   So many tennis fans seem to think, "If my favorite player reaches Milestone X, THEN I'll be happy!!"  News flash:  it almost NEVER works that way.  We quickly adapt to new experiences, and then are left wondering:  "What's next???"  🧐

The article below busts several myths of happiness.  So many people seem to think that when they strike it rich, marry their soulmate, or find their dream job, it will bring them lasting happiness.  🦄   But in most cases, that really isn't true.  In general, we humans aren’t very good at predicting what will bring happiness.  In fact, we’re almost always WRONG about what will make us happier!!  🙀  Happiness is more about living in the moment and enjoying the positive day-to-day experiences of life than it is about experiencing some incredible major life event like winning a gold medal at the Olympics.  🍿

There are a couple important points this article leaves out, though:  1) Good relationships are probably the biggest predictor of happiness.  🤗  Basically, we need to feel connected to a world that is larger than ourselves; and 2) Happiness is more about GIVING than getting.  So, strive to make kindness the central theme of your life.  🥰  And realize that happiness isn't likely to come when you're thinking mostly about yourself or what you want.

Anyway, this article makes many excellent points and is well worth reading.  👍

Current issues and events - Page 12 What-makes-people-happy34-n

Even though advertising and marketing may lead us to think that the right job, a bigger home, or the perfect spouse is the ticket to happiness, it turns out these ideas can actually lead us to unhappiness.  Research shows that there can be a gap between what we believe makes us happy and what brings us true happiness.

Although platitudes on bumper stickers or Instagram quote cards may sound nice, their ideas can become lodged in our minds without being substantiated in science.  Misconceptions about happiness can stop us from getting what we want because they hide helpful truths.  Understanding these common misconceptions—and learning from them—can help us cultivate more happiness in our lives.

MYTH:  In life, the goal is to be happy and not to be sad.

TRUTH:  There are only two types of people who don't experience painful emotions such as sadness, anxiety, anger, envy, or disappointment:  psychopaths and the deceased.  The fact that we experience painful emotions is a good thing because it means we're alive!

The truth is that happiness comes part and parcel with sadness.  Happiness and sadness aren't opposites—they're simply different emotions.  It's completely normal to be a happy person and feel sad sometimes.

The goal of life is not to eliminate sadness. Research shows that, paradoxically, when we give ourselves permission to feel anxiety, anger, or sadness, we often end up experiencing more happiness.  Allowing ourselves a full range of emotions is what will help lead us to the happiest and most fulfilled lives.

TRY THIS:  You can't suppress the experience of painful emotions, so don't even bother trying to push them away or bottle them up.  Give yourself permission to have feelings of sadness, anxiety, anger, or envy, but don't allow yourself to marinate in them for extended periods of time.  Whatever emotions come up for you, aim to feel them fully—then, let them go.  By doing this, they can loosen their grip on you.

MYTH:  I'll be happy when (fill in the blank).

TRUTH:  Happiness isn't a destination, nor is it a permanent state of mind.  Happiness is an emotional state, and emotions are transitory; they can fluctuate depending on our thoughts and mood on any given day.

Although happiness isn't permanent, research suggests that lasting happiness is attainable if we're prepared to do the work.  Much like with sustained weight loss or fitness, becoming lastingly happier demands effort and commitment every day.

TRY THIS:  There are many things in your life you can't control, and some things you can.  One of the most important you can learn to control is your mind.  Try to train your brain to focus on the present moment because lasting happiness happens in the now.  Looking to the past or the future takes you out of the moment and out of happiness.  When you notice your mind wander, try to bring it back to the now by looking around and noticing the things you appreciate, are grateful for, or that make you happy.

MYTH:  Once you put a ring on it. you live happily ever after.

TRUTH:  While it's true that there's often a boost in happiness when you get married, it doesn't last very long.  Several studies have found that marriage has a surprisingly small impact on long-term happiness, and after the fun and excitement of a wedding wears off, most newlyweds revert to their happiness levels before their engagement.

It turns out it's not simply marriage that makes people happy.  If a couple isn't happy going into their marriage, chances are the union isn't going to be their golden ticket.  Also, staying in an unhappy marriage because you think it'll make you happier is a myth.  Research has shown that people who are in unhappy marriages experience a spike in their happiness once the marriage is dissolved.

TRY THIS:  Marriage or not, focus on your own happiness and the happiness of your partner.  One way to do this is to celebrate the good.  Research indicates that the most intimate and trusting relationships are distinguished by how partners respond to good news, not by how they react to disappointing or bad news.  For example, if your partner shares that he got a big promotion, be sure to celebrate with enthusiastic joy; talk about the great things about the promotion and how it will benefit your relationship.  And if your partner shares that he got a new job that requires him to work weekends, try to highlight the good things that'll come from the new job as much as possible, and give less attention to the downsides.

MYTH:  Landing your dream job is your ticket to happiness.

TRUTH:  There's absolutely nothing wrong with aspiring to do things we love; after all, who doesn’t want a career that pays the bills and is fulfilling?  The problem is that having an idealized view of what constitutes a perfect job can wind up leading us away from work we love, instead of toward it, when our expectations don't match reality.

People adapt to all experiences, so any happiness from a new work environment will likely fade over time.  Also, we're constantly growing and changing, and sometimes, so are our interests.  A dream job isn't an exact destination, either; rather, it's constantly evolving, just like you.  What we think our ideal is when we're in our 20s may be very different than when we're in our 30s or 40s.

TRY THIS:  Remember that passion won't always pay the bills—and that's OK!  The key to finding your dream job is being able to distinguish the achievable from the fairy tale and recognizing what it means to you to be fulfilled from a practical (not just a passionate) standpoint.  Be open to new things and embrace the many opportunities you encounter.  This will help you to be sure that you don't pass up worthwhile work in hopeless pursuit of an elusive ideal.

MYTH:  A bigger house means a bigger smile.

TRUTH: According to the science of happiness, the reality is that whether it be a dream home or something else, many of us are waiting for happiness.  We fervently (and erroneously) believe that, if we're not happy now, we will be happy when we get that house . . . or find Mr. Right . . . or strike it rich or....

More space doesn't necessarily lead to more happiness.  One U.S. study found that, since the 1980s, the amount of space per person has grown by about 40 percent (to more than 900 square feet) for people living in detached houses, yet satisfaction has stayed the same.  Also, if that mega-square-foot home means you have to take out a barely affordable mortgage, it may not give you as much pleasure as you'd hope.  Research shows that eliminating negative experiences (like worry associated with debt) makes us three to five times happier than creating a positive experience (like splurging on something).

TRY THIS:  Science shows that expectations are frequently toxic and erroneous because they may lead to letdown or even depression.  Try not to focus too much on the salient high points (for example, moving day or a vacation) and instead focus on and celebrate day-to-day events, which have a more profound effect on overall happiness.

Whether you've ever fallen for any of these myths or not, when it comes to happiness, remember that it starts from within.  You are your best teacher, and you are the only one who truly knows what makes you happy—not any advertisement, job, relationship, person, or thing.  Happiness isn't a destination; it's a byproduct of a life well lived.  It's like a muscle you build over time, and so no matter how happy or unhappy you are right now, you absolutely have the potential to be happier.  By educating yourself about happiness and making time each day to do small things that make you feel good, you can be certain that the cumulative effects will add up to a happier life.

https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/5ee4e9259210076dbaf3b8e5/5f64e760e271d61bd4ceba9d_Myths%20of%20Happiness%20-%20Gillian%20Mandich.pdf

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:09 pm

It's that time of the year again!!  So . . . have you made your mid-year resolutions yet??

HUH???  scratch

Well, it turns out that, according to some experts, July is a better time to make resolutions than January.  What a Face   Why?  Well, read more below and find out for yourself.  Cool

Anyway, the year's only about half over, so there's still time to commit to changing your life for the better!   cheers

Current issues and events - Page 12 Midyea10

Forget January. July is the best month for making resolutions.

Lose weight.  Start exercising.  Quit smoking.  Ever noticed how January's good intentions have a way of turning into July's forgotten resolutions?  This midyear, resolve to recommit to your health goals.  By tweaking your resolutions based on what you learned from earlier attempts, you've got a better shot at actually achieving them.

4th of July Resolutions

When you think about it, January 1 may be the worst possible day of the year for making resolutions.  Sure, there's poetic appeal to the notion of a fresh start at the beginning of a new year.  But in reality, most of us hit the last day of the holiday stress fest feeling frazzled, fatigued and possibly hungover—not exactly at our best for focused behavior change.

The holiday when we should actually be making resolutions is July 4.  Compare a typical Fourth of July barbecue—laidback, and the party peaks with 9:00 p.m. fireworks—to a typical New Year's Eve bash.  Chances are, you'll be in a much better frame of mind the day after the Fourth to hit the gym or toss out your cigarettes.

With half a year behind you, it's possible to look back and see where your New Year's resolutions went awry.  Yet you've still got time to look forward to making this the year when you finally lose that 15 pounds or take up a sport you always wanted to try.

Resolution Solutions

If you made New Year's resolutions that didn't turn out quite the way you planned, now's your chance to review and revise.  This time around:

• Try, try again. Yes, you tried before and failed, but that only means you're like 60% of other people who made resolutions six months ago. It's okay; you're normal.  Cut yourself some slack.

• Pick one goal—not two, not three.  Focus on one thing at a time, and give it your full attention.  Once you've achieved your current goal, you can start thinking about your next one.

• Make it personal.  Your partner, your best friend and everyone at the office may really, really want you to quit smoking.  But until you want it, too, your quit attempt is unlikely to succeed.  Be sure you've chosen a goal that you want to accomplish for yourself, not just to satisfy others.

• Think baby steps.  One problem with many resolutions is that the goal is so big and overwhelming that you end up feeling intimidated rather than motivated.  Break up large goals into smaller, more manageable ones.  For example, if you need to lose a lot of weight, aim to take off 5% to 10% of your body weight first.

• Change the world—not yourself.  Research shows that avoiding environmental triggers is one of the most effective ways to stick with behavior change.  When you're trying to give up sweets, it's easier to ban cookies from the cupboard than to nag yourself into having more willpower.

• Seek support.  Did family and friends unwittingly sabotage your behavior change efforts last time?  This time, ask for their support, and let them know specific ways they can be more helpful; for example, by not smoking around you or by watching the kids while you go to yoga class.

• Celebrate success.  Give yourself little treats for reaching not only your ultimate destination, but also key mileposts along the way. Research shows that rewarding success is a more effective way to promote lasting behavior change than punishing slipups.  Plus, it's a lot more fun.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/minding-the-body/201006/midyear-resolutions-youll-actually-keep

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next